Saturday, December 17, 2011
I posted a long post just now and I accidentally closed the browser window, losing everything. Argh!
Here’s basically what I wrote.
It’s been another year. This website won’t go away until I forget to renew the domain name! I’ve got a lifetime account as A Small Orange and so I don’t have to worry about monthly domain fees.
Every month I received a spam comment or two in my image galleries. When I got notice of them, I simply disabled comments for that image and deleted the comment. In November and early December, the spam comments got much more frequent, so I disabled all comments on all images on all of the galleries. Saved me some time in getting rid of those comments, I should’ve done it earlier!
Back in April, when I last posted, I did a fresh install of ExpressionEngine 1 on an unused domain of mine to try and diagnose the htaccess problems. The domain is installed on the same server as this one, so I thought if I could get it working on that domain, I could get it working on this one. All I did to change with that install was change the settings to remove index.php from the URLs. Eventually I did get it figure it out, but I left the ExpressionEngine install alone.
The spammers managed to find this domain and they went crazy with the spam comments. I didn’t notice what has happening until August. I happened to log in to check the stats on my domains and noticed that there was an unusually high amount of bandwidth usage on that domain. Turns out the spammers had made 15,337 comments on one that one default post from June 2nd to August 16th! Here’s what the visitors graph from Awstats looked like:
I still want to upgrade to EE 2. This main blog is inactive but my private journal isn’t. I have a Tumblr account and this year I got to spend some time with WordPress 3 since I was helping a friend design a website. They’re both great but I don’t like them as much as I do EE and I’d much rather stick with EE than use something else. I made a copy of my site offline, and using MAMP, I upgraded to EE 2 and started working away at updating the templates and the broken plugins. I stopped when I couldn’t get the Textile formatting plugin to work. That was several months ago and I haven’t looked at it since. I can’t say when I will start looking at it again.
So that’s all for now. Happy Holidays!